at girl's night a couple weeks back one of my friends shared
that her current pregnancy craving is strawberry shortcake.
and that just sounded amazing. pregnant or not!
i'm usually a bit intimidated by anything that calls for a dough of sorts.
not only was this recipe relatively simple, it came together exactly
as the recipe suggested. and, most importantly, it was DELICIOUS.
the shortcakes were just perfection.
with the perfect amount of softness and chewiness.
just sweet enough, but not too sweet.
i decreased the amount of sugar in the strawberries,
as good ripe strawberries don't need much!
perfect dessert for summer. i plan to make this again this coming weekend.
also: YES i made this from my new fave cooking blog
and YES i totally cheated and DOUBLED the recipe.
recipe below is doubled and serves four
1 cup flour
4 teaspoons sugar, plus extra for topping
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 pinches of salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen
1/2 cup heavy cream, plus extra for topping
filling & topping ingredients
2+ cups small diced strawberries
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. line a baking sheet with parchment paper
3. in a food processor, add flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. pulse once to combine.
4. add frozen butter diced into small pieces.
pulse 10-12 times, until the butter is the size of small peas.
5. add all the cream through the top and continue pulsing.
the dough will not come together entirely - do not fret!
6. dump dough on to a floured surface and knead a few times until a dough forms.
pat the dough into four evenly sized 1/4" thick circle or rectangle.
move biscuits to prepared baking sheet and brush with extra cream and sprinkle with sugar.
7. bake 15-18 minutes until biscuits are lightly golden brown.
let cool completely.
8. in a small bowl, stir together diced strawberries, lemon juice and sugar.
allow to sit at least an hour, until he berries soften and red juice forms at the bottom of the bowl.
9. when ready to assemble, whip the cream with powdered sugar and vanilla.
10. slice each biscuit in half, spoon in whip cream and top with strawberries.