ever since our honeymoon, i've been obsessed with everything pineapple and coconut.
it takes me back to the poolside drinks, tropical shaved ice, and a warm breeze smelling of sunscreen.
today i wanted to create the first edition of 'tuesday's tips & tricks'!
today's topic? pineapple!
finding the perfect pineapple
*the color of the pineapple does not indicate it's ripeness,
so don't be alarmed by those green ones at the store!
*there are two great ways to tell if your pineapple is ripe.
smell the bottom to see if it has a sweet aroma and/or
pull one of the leaves from the very center of the top of the pineapple.
if this pulls out easily - your pineapple is ready to go!
if the leaf does not come out easily, give it a couple more days.
storing your pineapple
*pineapples are best stored at room temp until you're ready to use them.
like most fruits, once ripe, you can extend their life a bit by putting them in the refrigerator.
*sliced pineapple is best kept well sealed in the refrigerator.
*i've heard that storing your pineapple upside down for 30 minutes prior to cutting
allows the juices to distribute more evenly through the fruit, instead of settling in the bottom.
cutting your pineapple
1. pull off top set of leaves. these should usually break off easily.
2. slices 1-2 inches off the top and bottom end of the pineapple.
3. set upright, and begin slicing down around the sides,
allowing yourself enough margins to get all the outer layer.
4. go back around your pineapple and with a pairing knife
scooping out any small sections of the exterior skin that remain.
5. slice into 1-2 inch rings
6. with a knife trace a small circle around each of your rings to cut out the core and discard.
7. enjoy solo or in your favorite recipe!
some of my favorite pineapple recipes:
and for some non-food pineapple inspiration, click here