valentine's day... a perfect excuse to make adorable sweet treats. duh!
instead of a classic sugar cookie... i decided to go the chocolate route.
these cookies have a cinnamony crunch to them
and are perfect to top with all your favorite decorations :)
recipe via pioneer woman
2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1. combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and cocoa powder in a bowl.
whisk together and set aside.
2. in the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and brown sugar until fluffy.
add egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
add flour/cocoa mixture in tow or three batches,
mixing well after each addition.
3. place dough into a large ziploc bag and flatten slightly.
seal and refridgerate for two hours.
4. to make cookies, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
remove dough from bag and place on a floured surface for 5 to 10 minutes.
roll out to 1/4 inch thickness and cut with a heart cookie cutter.
consolidate and re-roll dough as you go.
5. place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
bake for 12 minutes or until set (but not browning at all)
remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
6. decorate with a chocolate buttercream frosting
or anything else your heart desires.