beautiful weather calls for fresher ingredients and lighter meals.
i tried this soup from bon appetit last night... and fell in love.
you have to try this. the broth was delicious!
the meatballs made it relatively hearty.
and the balance of the leeks, carrots, fresh basil and parmesan.
i put this on my 'make again list'
6 ounces ground chicken (about 3/4 cup)
1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
6 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan, divided, plus more for garnish
4 garlic cloves, 2 minced, 2 thinly sliced
2 tablespoonschopped fresh chives
1 large egg, whisked to blend
kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1leek, white and pale-green parts only, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
5 cup slow-salt chicken broth
3/4 cup ditalini or other small pasta
1 cup 1/2-inch rounds peeled carrots
1 cup (packed) baby spinach
chopped fresh basil
1. mix chicken, breadcrumbs, 3 Tbsp. Parmesan, 2 minced garlic cloves,
chives, egg, 3/4 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper in a medium bowl.
form into 1/2-inch-diameter meatballs (makes about 28).
2. heat oil in a small pot over medium heat.
cook meatballs until golden all over, about 3 minutes (they will finish cooking in soup).
transfer to a plate; set aside.
3. add leek to pot and cook, stirring often, until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes.
add 2 thinly sliced garlic cloves; cook for 1 minute.
add broth and 2 cups water; bring to a boil.
4. stir in pasta and carrots; simmer until pasta is almost al dente, about 8 minutes.
add meatballs; simmer until pasta is al dente, carrots are tender,
and meatballs are cooked through, about 3 minutes.
5. add spinach and remaining 3 Tbsp. Parmesan;
stir until spinach is wilted and Parmesan is melted. season with salt and pepper.
6. ladle soup into bowls. garnish with chopped basil and parmesan.