last weekend i made this amazing challah french toast
strait from the pages of my father's daughter.
and seriously, i think this is maybe the best french toast i've ever had.
it was that good. try it :)
1 vanilla bean
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
8 1" slices challah bread
(this bread makes the dish, don't substitute!)
1 teaspoon coarse sugar
(we used sugar in the raw)
2 bananas (for topping)
powdered sugar (for dusting)
real vermont maple syrup (for serving)
this recipe serves 4
2. place seeds in a bowl with a teaspoon of hot water and mix
3. whisk in eggs and milk
4. dip bread into the egg mixture, coating each slice on both sides
5. meanwhile, melt butter in large frying pan over medium-high heat.
add as many pieces of challah as can fit comfortably.
6. sprinkle the top of each piece with a tiny bit of coarse sugar
7. cook for about 2 minutes, or until underside is golden brown
and the coating is crisp and lacy. flip and sprinkle the cooked side with another
sprinkle of sugar. cook for about 2 minutes more, or until second side is browned.
8. repeat process until all pieces are cooked.
top with thinly sliced banana and dusts with powdered sugar.