trying a new recipe...
strait from christine's test kitchen.
this dish has so much chemistry!
love the mix of the bacon, butternut squash, kale, creme fraiche & gruyere.
yum! (i love you cookinglight!)
5 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash
1 tablespoon olive oil
12 ounces uncooked ziti
4 cups chopped kale
2 bacon slices
2 cups vertically sliced onion
1 teaspoon salt, divided
5 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 cup crème fraîche
1/3 cup shredded gruyère cheese
1. preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. combine squash and oil in a large bowl; toss well.
arrange squash mixture in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray
bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until squash is tender
3. cook pasta 7 minutes or until almost al dente
add kale to pan during last 2 minutes of cooking. drain pasta mixture.
4. cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp.
remove bacon from pan; crumble. add onion to drippings in pan;
cook 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
add 1/2 teaspoon salt and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
5. bring 1 3/4 cups broth to a boil in a small saucepan.
combine remaining 1/4 cup broth and flour in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
add flour mixture, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to broth.
cook 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. remove from heat; stir in crème fraîche.
6. combine squash, pasta mixture, bacon, onion mixture, and sauce in a large bowl; toss gently.
place pasta mixture in a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish
coated with cooking spray; sprinkle evenly with cheese.
(oopsies. forgot the kale! added that in and pretty sure it was my fave part of the dish!)
7. bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until bubbly and slightly browned.