this post is dedicated to my good friend and boss, barb takata.
we've had the privilege of working and traveling together for some time,
and it was really her who introduced me to bread pudding for the first time.
last weekend, i tried to make some of my own.
(thank you cooking light for this light twist!)
5 cups (1/2-inch) cubed french bread
1 cup evaporated fat-free milk
3/4 cup 1% low-fat milk
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons bourbon
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons bourbon
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
6 tablespoons half & half
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. arrange bread cubes on a baking sheet. bake for 8 minutes or until lightly toasted.
3. combine evaporated milk, milk, sugar, bourbon, vanilla,
cinnamon, salt & eggs in a large bowl. whisk until combined.
4. add bread cubes to the bowl. let stand for 20 minutes,
occasionally stirring/pressing the bread to soak up the mixture.
5. prepare sauce by combining brown sugar, bourbon & butter
in a small saucepan over medium/high heat. bring to a boil.
simmer 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves, stirring frequently.
6. stir in 5 tablespoons half & half, simmer 10 minutes or until reduced to about 1 cup.
7. remove pan from heat. stir in remaining 1 tablespoon half & half,
1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
8. spoon half of bread mixture into a loaf size pan coated with cooking spray.
drizzle half of sauce over the bread mixture.
spoon remaining half of bread
mixture over sauce.
9. bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until knife is inserted and comes out clean.
10. serve warm & drizzle with sauce.
YUM! comfort food for my soul!